A Brief History of Grace
From the document entitled, 60 Years of Grace by the Cross published in 2008.
Grace was start when Pastor R. H. Zimmerman of Grace Lutheran Church in Tucson began worship services in Casa Grande. It was from the mother church that our congregation took its name. However, it was not until May 16, 1942, that his mission was served regularly by Pastor Adelbert Schulz of Chandler.
In the summer of 1943, Pastor Schulz accepted a call to our Apache Mission in Whiteriver. His successor, Pastor Karl Molkentin of Milwaukee, served Grace from Chandler between the fall of 1943 and Jan. 1, 1947, when he accepted a call to Cortez, CO. Pastor Gerhard Eckert was installed on March 9, 1947.
The first church was dedicated to the glory of the Lord on December 12, 1948. A parsonage was built next door in 1956, and the Parish Hall for Sunday School classes was completed in 1958.
In 1960, the Church was incorporated under the name Grace Lutheran Church of Casa Grande.
In 1971, the Wisconsin Synod created a joint Parish with Redeemer Lutheran church of Phoenix and Grace Lutheran Church of Casa Grande. Pastor Kurt Mahnke resided in Phoenix during this time and parsonage in Casa Grande was rented to a member. After Pastor Mahnke accepted a call to an inner city mission in Milwaukee, the two congregations decided to have Pastor Craig Huska reside in Casa Grande in 1975. Financial problems and declining membership caused Redeemer to sell its building during the time Pastor George Ferch served Grace.
Land for the current church building in the Sierra Ranch subdivision was purchased in 1988. The current facilities were dedicated in October of 1996. The parsonage was completed in 1997. The 45 foot tall outdoor cross was constructed in 2001.